Today, we had our first day of Halloween construction on our major new attraction. Despite getting a pretty bad sunburn, I would say it was a success. My buddy Daniel and I worked from 9am to 1pm, and got about two thirds of the way through the wooden frame we're building. Last night, we went to Lowe's and Home Depot to get the building materials, and the total came to about $150 in plywood, hardboard, studs, and foam (cheaper than we estimated, actually). We haven't bought the paint or the incidentals yet, but I think we're going to get this thing out of the way for under $250.
Unfortunately, the frame is the easy part. Once the frame is built out (probably by tomorrow afternoon), we'll be cutting the foam pieces for detailing - that's what takes a lot of time, because we cut stonework into the foam for realism, and then hand-paint all the stones. We want this thing to look real. That means that we've still got a few weekends of work on this thing.