Friday, June 24, 2005

An Unpleasant Choice

(More anniversary party stuff.)

As I mentioned last time, we went on this trip through the deep south in the middle of summer with no air conditioning. Normally, that's not so bad, because you can always roll the windows down.

Unfortunately, my dad had the brilliant idea to go on one of those drive-through safari's, where you drive through a park full of lions and tigers and bears that aren't in cages, just roaming freely. The only thing between the predatory animal and a delicious tourist smorgasbord is a rolled-up window.
Safari of Death
To make things worse, dad's estimate of a five to ten minute drive was off by a factor of ten, because the sadists in the car in front of us wanted to stop every five feet to take pictures of every tree, shrub, rock, and blade of grass.

So, we sat there simmering in our own juices for about as long as it takes to roast a turkey. When the heat stroke settled in and I started to hallucinate, I realized we had a dubious choice: either roll the window down to let a breeze in and risk death by pointy teeth, or leave the window rolled up and bake to death. Luckily, I was too weak from dehydration to move the window handle, and I passed out.
An Unpleasant Choice
To this day, I don't know how we made it out of there alive.

No comments: