Sunday, February 04, 2007

Lost Planet reviews?

I was flipping through the latest issue of Game Informer magazine over the weekend, reading the reviews and previews, when I looked at the back cover, which was a full-page ad for Lost Planet, a new XBox360 game.

Part of the ad listed some things that different video game reviews had said of the game, such as "Gorgeous graphics..." from GamePro and "...an action game on full throttle..." But the one that caught my eye was the quote "...it simply rocks" from Game Informer magazine, the very magazine I was reading.

"That's funny," I thought. The Lost Planet review was in that same magazine, and "it simply rocks" was certainly not the impression that I was left with after reading it. So I flipped back to the review, and re-read it to see if I could find the quote.

Not only was the quote not in the review, but phrases like these showed up:
  • "the game is quite dull"
  • "disposing of pawns [referring to non-boss monsters in FPS's] is hardly ever this boring"
  • "you'll confront legions of grunts that don't pose any threat"
  • "Capcom missed a major opportunity with the story"
  • "major revelations in the game fail to have any kind of impact", and
  • "it's somewhat short and boring"
Now, I'm not so gullible as to believe a game ad when it pulls out a phrase that could easily have been taken out of context, but it seems to me that the words should actually appear in the review. Maybe there's some review that I haven't seen, but even then, clearly, "it simply rocks" is a gross mischaracterization of the review in Game Informer magazine. The review does mention the good points of the game, but there are enough caveats and gotchas discussed that it's obviously not so simple as to say it rocks.

(And why would Game Informer allow themselves to be misquoted - or at the very least, misrepresented - in their own magazine? I'm beginning to see why the budget for a AAA title is $15 million nowadays; it's not all in development.)

No comments: