Friday, March 09, 2007

First Steps with Cocoa

I decided the other night that I need to start widening my knowledge of computer programming, and I decided to start learning Objective-C / Cocoa.

This sort of decision is good in theory, but often the learning curve very quickly discourages you, and you wind up giving up and reverting to what you know. But the only way to find out is to dive in.

So I started writing my first objective-C Cocoa program tonight, using XCode from Apple. To my surprise, I was able, on my first night, to get a pretty feature-rich application working. It has a table view that manages multiple objects which can be edited in a text editor on the side. I'm really impressed not only with the Objective-C language - with its very clear and friendly syntax - but with the NextStep-based code library Apple provides for creating applications. Although it took a bit of reading, the organization of the elements I've investigated is clear and powerful.

Maybe this won't take so long to get feeling comfortable with after all...

No comments: