Sunday, May 08, 2005

Carnival of Souls Radio?

We bought a new car this weekend up in Albuquerque, so my wife and I drove separate cars back to Las Cruces today. On the way back, she was listening to her iPod, and I was listening to mine.

The car stereo adapters for iPod that we have work like this: you select the frequency they broadcast on, and then you tune your car stereo to that frequency to listen to your music. I had assumed that the broadcast range wasn't very far, so that you wouldn't interfere with other cars and their iPod broadcasters.

But as luck would have it, my cheap-o battery powered adapter's batteries started dying about fifteen minutes south of Socorro. Hellbilly Deluxe started sounding like crap, with a lot of static and noise over it. So I just turned it off.

But a tap on the 'seek' button on the car stereo turned up my wife's iPod broadcasting her Angels and Demons audio book, clear as a bell. I found that I could lag back ten to fifteen seconds behind her and still have a good source.

So it appears that you could broadcast a radio program to your local neighborhood with just a cheap personal radio transmitter. Normally, this would be useless, but I'm thinking it might be a good way to scare up some anticipation for our Halloween festivities this year. If we were to put out a sign that says "Tune to 88.1" and stick an iPod on repeat with some pre-prepared radio dramas that describe the history of the "Carnival of Souls," perhaps intermixed with some awesomely spooky Midnight Syndicate tracks, then we might just kick-start the Halloween season early...

No comments: