Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Yet another reason why I use a Mac

The guys at 37signals just posted a comparison of software installation experiences on Mac and PC that would be humorous if it weren't so sad.

They took start-to-finish screen-capture video of the process for installing the Javascript debugger for Safari/WebKit from Apple and the Javascript debugger for IE from Microsoft. The download sizes alone almost tell the story themselves - the Apple move took 1MB, and the IE movie took 10MB - but the real kicker is how ridiculously often popup windows show up under Vista asking you the same thing over and over again.

Watching the PC video, I felt the same chill I feel when I realize I'm going to have to go use a PC somewhere. Using a Mac, you really do get spoiled by the clean and clutter-free work environment. Vista is attempting to steal from Mac OS X, but they still have a long way to go.

No comments: